Did I trick you guys?! Nothing exciting happened, I just miss you guys!!!!!! I know we're seeing each other tomorrow though, so that's all good :)
I don't really know what I wanted to write about, but I want to elaborate on the music thing I had shared with you guys earlier, cause music is a huge part of my life! I mean, I can't really play an instrument (aside from a bit of guitar/base/clarinet) but I find that music is a huge influence on my emotions and stuff going on in life. Like, if I listen to sad songs, I'm probably gonna feel sad for a while. If I listen to happy pop songs I get really giddy/excited for absolutely no reason and have to try and find some way to be happy whilst listening to that song. So in this post I wanna kind of address what my opinion on the main genres on music are and how I think they influence today's generation (mainly ours) Also, this is a rather long post, so get some snack and get comfy!
I'm gonna start off by talking about Alternative music.
This genre is a bit complicated, because there's really no definition or specific band type. Alternative is (in my opinion) unlike any other genre of music, because unlike pop music where they write about breakups, makeups, etc., Alternative talks about those but more towards... The heart/mind. There really is no limit to Alternative. Some of my favourite Alternative bands are:
-Twenty One Pilots
-Fallout Boy
-Nirvana
-Imagine Dragons
-Three Days Grace
-Bastille
In second place (winning a special place in my heart): Indie/Indie folk/Indie pop
Now, this genre is AMAZING, I cannot lie. There are so many incredible artists who deserve more credit than those stupid lame a** rappers or pop singers! Their Indie folk I listen to is really quite incredible, even though if you search the lyrics, ir make NO sense AT ALL! Their music really talks to the soul, making you think harder about the "way of life" and listening to this fantastic genre has opened my eyes to so many different windows of the world. If I could pick anything else academic aside from being an author, I want to be a Philosopher- now don't you go judging!!!
-Bon Iver (I actually gave my fav male book character the last name Iver cause I love that band so much)
-Daughter
-Lord Huron
-Of Monsters And Men (AMAZE)
-Mumford and Sons
-The Lumineers
-Grizzly Bear
-Broods (Indie pop- I'm in dire LOVE with the song Bridges btw)
-Fortunate Ones (these guys are really cool but aren't super famous, so I'm trying to help them get bigger in the music industry)
Electro-dance pop.
Now I defiently have mixed feelings about this genre. But, it's really quite an exciting genre to listen to. A lot of the lyrical (which means it has words) music in this genre is very... Interesting? I don't really know how to explain it….. So yeah here's the list of people that I like. I do recognize that some of these artists are famous, that doesn't go against what I said earlier about the other genres.
-Troye Sivan (that's basically why I did this genre)
-Disclosure (specifically their new album Jaded! I named another book character after the song "Omen", and it's stuck, so I'm very happy with unusual names :) )
-Kygo
-Calvin Harris
-Timmy Trumpets
-Major Lazer
-Audien
Rap *rolls eyes*
I don't care too much for rap, since most of it is about money, sex, fame, feminine body parts and yeah… I'm not a super hardcore feminist, but seriously guys?! Can't you write about something other than how big a girl's a** or how sexy she is??? Can't you want us for our personality too??? Or do we have to have either a butt or boobs to be pretty? Like honestly, sorry I ranted but I just don't like rap. I'm not saying all rappers are like this, but a good portion of what people consider "good rap" is about that stuff. Like Eminem is no longer that popular (I mean WTF PEOPLE?! He's amazing why did you ditch him?!) And rap music has just gone downhill over the years. If you like rap, that's totally fine, each to their own for music taste, I don't wanna offend anyone! This post is simply my opinion.
Pop in general:
Yeah, I do listen to the stuff on the radio for sure, but I've never really found myself fully indulging in pop like I do with other genres. But, it is still a pretty good genre… Just too much "breakups I hate you", to quote Taylor Swift.
I think that's basically it, but I would like to rant about one artist in particular that I'm head over heels for.
BON IVER.
Justin Vernon's music is just such an amazing gift to the world, he really is so talented. He actually won a few Grammy's for his music in I think 2010 or 2011. He's the one that got me hooked on Indie music in general, with the song "Towers" and "Holocene". Those were the two that I instantly fell in love with, and something…. Awoke, if you will, inside me, and I just feel like a different person every time I listen to his music. A lot of people don't like his music, and I'm okay with that. Instead of freaking like I do when someone says something about things that I love, I understand that his music is VERY different from anything else that people have heard/listened to. I could go on forever about his music, but I won't for your sake :) I'll just list some of my fav songs from him:-Perth
-Michicant
-Towers
-Skinny love
-Holocene
-Blood Bank
-I can't make you love me
-Wash.
There are so many more lovely songs, but I'll let you decide what you think of his music! If you do find time to listen to any of these song, comment what you think! I love hearing what people think about his music, since everyone has a different taste/ear for music. Don't hold back, I'm okay with the hate on his music too ;) Also, comment if you like any of the same artists as me, or your fav song at the moment!
P.S, sorry for the mass of grammar mistakes, I'm too lazy to re-edit this post cause it's so long!!!!
"See you in the next life!"
-Bohdi
I agree with pretty much everything you said in this post!!!! I loooooooooooooooooooove Of Monsters And Men they're my favourite band ever:)))) Also Mumford & Sons and Imagine Dragons and The Lumineers
ReplyDeleteHaha those are just the top ones though there's so many songs & artists I like and so many out there in general you can't list em all!!!!!!